Discover Opportunities to Support New Teachers
Overview of the Virtual Instructional Coach and Building Mentor Program
The first years of teaching are exciting, exhilarating, and amazing. At the same time, they can be stressful, scary, and pressure-filled, especially for those who began their teaching career in the middle of a global pandemic.
That’s why the Illinois State Board of Education partnered with the Illinois Education Association and the Illinois Federation of Teachers to pair first-, second-, and third-year teachers and clinicians with mentors in their building and virtual instructional coaches to help guide them through these unique years of teaching.
Each new educator receives a $500 participation stipend with access to a comprehensive library of resources aligned to the Danielson Framework. Veteran teachers can also participate as virtual instructional coaches and in-building mentors and earn a monthly stipend.
The Illinois Virtual Instructional Coach and Building Mentor Program offers the following comprehensive supports:
- A virtual instructional coach, certified in the same area of instruction, who is trained to provide support for beginning teachers in instructional practices (including virtual instruction), social-emotional learning, and trauma-informed practices;
- A trained and certified building mentor whose sole responsibility is to make the new teacher feel welcomed, supported, and connected in their new school;
- Access to a robust virtual coaching platform with an online library of resources and a way to connect to other first year teachers; and
- Support and feedback via one-on-one and small group virtual coaching sessions.
As we look to Fall 2022, districts in collaboration with their local unions are invited to join the IEA Virtual Instructional Coach and Building Mentoring program for new teachers and clinicians.
IEA Virtual Instructional Coach & Building Mentoring Program Info
IEA Virtual Instructional Coach
- Learn more about becoming a Virtual Instructional Coach
- Apply to serve as a Virtual Instructional Coach
For more information, contact. IEA_CoachingAndMentoring@ieanea.org
CPS and other IFT affiliated district staff should contact IFT at IFTcoachingandmentoring@ift-aft.org
ISBE Coach-Mentor – Information and documents that allow access for administrators and other school personnel.