SPRINGFIELD — The Illinois Education Association (IEA) is proud to congratulate IEA-recommended congressional candidates for their wins tonight across Illinois.
“Strong unions and strong public education won tonight,” said IEA President Kathi Griffin. “Our members turned out in force this election to ensure that our elected officials will fight for and with them, their students and their communities. We are committed to working with our congressional delegates to ensure that the rights of educators and students are protected at the federal level.”
IEA membership voted to recommend pro-public education candidates across the state. IEA members across Illinois have volunteered countless hours to ensure that public education is at the forefront of this election cycle. IEA members made more than 30,000 phone calls, knocked on more than 500 doors and sent more than 24,000 texts in support of public education and pro-public education candidates.
“Our members knew what was at stake for public education and our students this election,” said Griffin. “They made their voices heard at the ballot box for themselves and for their students. We know that the power of IEA members is much stronger when we are united.”
The IEA congratulates these IEA-recommended U.S. Representatives-elect:
- Robin Kelly, Congressional District 2
- Jesus “Chuy” Garcia, Congressional District 4
- Sean Casten, Congressional District 6
- Danny Davis, Congressional District 7
- Raja Krishnamoorthi, Congressional District 8
- Jan Schakowsky, Congressional District 9
- Bill Foster, Congressional District 11
- Mike Bost, Congressional District 12
- Lauren Underwood, Congressional District 14
- Cheri Bustos, Congressional District 17
The 135,000 member Illinois Education Association (IEA-NEA) is the state’s largest education employee’s organization. IEA represents preK-12 teachers outside of the city of Chicago and education support staff, higher education faculty, retired education employees and students preparing to become teachers, statewide.