Final week before the election
Early voting continues until Nov. 3 at your county clerk’s office. Call ahead for the hours of operation.
It’s important that the amendment be defeated, so please encourage your friends and family to VOTE NO.
Local IEA Members make candidate recommendations through IPACE. Read more about how IPACE works.
November Advocate will arrive soon
The November Advocate is full of interesting articles such as:
- Derrick Schonauer, the Normal Community High School teacher who was confronted with an armed student on his 12th day of teaching.
- Read how the Glenbard High School District contract benefits students, local association members and administrators.
- What’s being done in successful mentoring programs?
All this, plus election information and more! Look for it in your mailbox soon.
Mourning a strong advocate
E. Ann Chambliss passed away Oct. 21. Ann taught in the Decatur schools for 34 years and was president of the Decatur Education Association for 11 years. She was also an NEA Director and served on many task forces and committees.
Ann was a recipient of the Decatur Teacher of the Year award and was recognized by The Illinois State Board of Education in the “Those Who Excel!” program.
Who should be the top ESP?
You can still nominate an education support professional for ESP of the Year. Nominations close Nov. 2.
All the information you need to nominate is here.
Deals galore for your holiday shopping
Shop in the comfort of your own home – and save! New merchants are added frequently, so check out the deals on all your holiday purchases.
All savings are available by visiting the IEA website, clicking on the membership card icon, entering your 10-digit member ID number and clicking “go.”
Or, shop using the mobile app:
- Search for “My Deals” in the iTunes App Store or via GooglePlay, or click here for iTunes, or here for GooglePlay.
- Download the “My Deals” app.
Enter your registration code, which is 9329 plus your IEA 10-digit member ID number.
IEA members receive IAEA awards
The Illinois Art Education Association has named IEA members:
- Karen Popovich, Indian Prairie Education Association; Art Educator of the Year.
- Nancy Staszak, Lisle Education Association; Distinguished Service in Art Education.
- Hillary Andrlik, Hinsdale-Clarendon Hills Teachers Association; Elementary Art Educator of the Year.
- Chris Grodoski, Wheaton-Warrenville Education Association; Middle School Art Educator of the Year.
Congratulations to each for their contribution in art education.
The Indian Prairie Educational Foundation has also received the Outstanding Service to Art Education Outside the Profession award.
Awards will be presented at the IAEA conference in Lisle Nov. 3.
Now is the time to buy a new computer
With the launch of the new Windows 8, we wanted to remind you of your computer purchase benefits. NEA Member Benefits members have been pre-qualified to access the Employee Purchase Program from Lenovo.
This week only receive 25 percent off ThinkPads on top of member pricing (includes devices preloaded with Windows 8.)
As always, you will also earn WOW points!
$25 gift card to Antico Posto
Congratulations to Kim Z., Avoca Education Association, winner of the latest $25 Panera gift card!
This week, compliments of Lettuce Entertain You Restaurants, we have four $25 gift certificates to Antico Posto, intimate Italian cafe, located in the Oakbrook Center Mall. To be one of four winners, send an email to IEA Listens with “Antico” in the subject line.
Keep reading the insider! More deals, discounts and tickets to come!