A full day of bargaining has failed to result in an agreement between the Chicago Teachers Union and the Chicago Public School system. Chicago teachers will be on picket lines on Monday.
(Update from CTU: Why are we on strike)
Statement from IEA President Cinda Klickna:
The 133,000 members of the Illinois Education Association (IEA) offer their full support to the Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) in a fight that is about much more than a contract for the 26,000 CTU members.
CTU is standing up for students and public education everywhere by fighting for an agreement that will be good for students, public schools and the profession of teaching.
The IEA mission states that our organization stands for excellence and equity in education and we know these also are the values of the CTU. We urge IEA members throughout the state to show their support for CTU in this very important fight:
- Wear RED on Monday to show support for CTU.
- Attand a fair contract rally at 3:30PM Monday, at the offices of the Chicago Public Schools 125 S. Clark.
- Volunteer — Strike volunteers should report to CTU strike headquarters (Teamsters local 705 union hall at 1645 w Jackson)
- Monday, September 10th from 5am to 5pm,
- Tuesday the 11th from 6 am to 2 pm
- From 6 am to 5pm on any subsequent day
We will update the IEA website, Facebook and Twitter pages with any relevant new information as it is received.
This is the time for everyone in labor to stick together and speak with one voice. IEA pledges its support to the men and women of CTU. We are with them and will support them in any way that we can.