The week of August 13-17, will be important for IEA members and all public employees in Illinois.
The top priority for the week is to stop HB1447, which cuts pensions and benefits for current and retired state employees (SERS). HB1447 does not impact TRS or SURS employees directly, but any pension changes that are not agreed to by the unions representing the impacted workers are bad for all public employees and for Illinois as a whole.
At this writing, it does not appear likely that there will be action on legislation impacting TRS and SURS members. However, IEA leaders and staff are remaining vigilant, keeping close tabs on legislation and checking in with legislators to guard against any “surprises.” IEA members will be informed of any changes the moment they are discovered.
The We Are One Illinois (WAOI) coalition (which includes IEA, IFT, AFSCME and other public employee unions) is involved in a number of activities next week tied to the August 17 special legislative session on pensions called by Gov. Quinn.
The activities listed below are intended to help preserve pensions and collective bargaining rights for public employees in Illinois.
Monday (August 13): WAOI will convene a media conference with reporters
Wednesday (August 15), “Governor’s Day” at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield: WAOI will join with coalition member AFSCME to support their demonstration against Gov. Pat Quinn’s efforts to cut pensions for state employees and eliminate needed state services.
1) There will be a We Are One Illinois news conference held at the Crowne Plaza hotel in Springfield, which will take place simultaneously with a legislative breakfast at the same hotel. IEA will be represented by President Klickna.
The news conference will discuss:
· The importance of legislators voting NO on HB 1447 and any other pension bills that are not supported by unions representing the impacted employees and retirees.
2) Fairgrounds demonstration Retirees and any IEA members who have not yet begun school, and who would like to participate, can join the demonstration at 11:30 a.m. at the Main Gate of the State Fairgrounds. (There will be no busses, mileage reimbursement or lunch provided.)
Friday (August 17) “special legislative session on pensions” called by Gov. Quinn.
1) Retirees and any IEA members who have not yet begun school, and who would like to participate, are encouraged to gather outside the General Assembly chambers in the Statehouse at 10:30 to let legislators know they must vote NO on HB1447 and any other legislation opposed by the coalition.
2) There will be a WAOI rally in the Statehouse Rotunda at 11:30am. (There will be no busses, mileage reimbursement or lunch provided.)
What you can do right now